Monday, December 17, 2007

Mark 6 weeks! Is that it?














































There are several people who keep asking how I am doing it? Some days I wonder myself to be honest. It is day by day, remembering our comitment early on, knowing what we would do and how far we would go to help a biological child knowing it has to be the same and so on and so forth. If we found out 6 years too late that our child had been abused in any manor be it physical, emotional or sexual what would we do? If we found that our child had turned into a disturbed and disrupted child do to something that had happened in the past, that we did not know, what would we do to help? How long would we help? Is it exactly like this? No. Are there things that families can handle and things they cant? Absoultely, in my opinion. We still feel that is what our commitment was in the begining and has to be still. What about comiting to the unknown? Something you were not told? Isn't that what we agreed to in adoption and are suppose to commit to? Is there still an olbigation to be had as adoptive parents when issues of this statue arise? These are just a couple of the things we ask ourselfs and talk about with each other. The bigest concern of the comitment is still if we can help our daughter heal faster than our son or family can be torn apart? At this point we lean toward the positive atleast for most days. I have to admit that this may not be my view 6 months from now but for now these are some of the thoughts I hold on to. And with Gregs trust in me our family moves forward. Some of the things I have to think in our everyday interacting with Liberti and her words and actions to us are...

No dont touch!= It still feels weird when you touch me
I love you NO!=I feel guilty for caring about you too
No! No! No!= I feel scared and confused, this is different
No! I like Keelung.= I still miss them and I dont know how to love another family yet

I try to think of things when it is painful to hear the other. It is important to stay positive, be loving and show compasion every second. We have to help our daughter learn how to have these qualities. Still needing the boundaries and structure all the while. There are still other difficult things to consider as well. Imagine your child falls very very very hard. So hard it hurt you to watch and you know they are in pain but when you go to hug them and scoop them up to help ease the pain, you are pushed away. Imagine every time you instinctively give a hug or a kiss it is wiped away quickly no matter how normal everything seemed. Imagine that you watched your child confused, sad, lost and along and wish to comfort them and they push you away still. That you go to buckle their seat belt and they are appauled. That you brush their hair out of their eyes and they scream "NO" and pull away. Life is not what it once was. The things that I have to think abou tto stay strong are things you could not imagine when researching adoption or taking the adoption classes. Tehya re things you can ot fully understand or prepare for when considering adoption. Just like a child that is prepared for their own adoption can not fully understand what they are about to feel or lose. It is painful from all sides. I had no idea just how much the issues of an older child would impact everyone in our lives let alone our son. So to answer that question again, i am not sure just how we are getting through it aside of a good day here and there, remembering all these things, and believing that God lead us to our daughter and he will lead her to us. Most of all we feel that we have made it this far by the support of all of you, our friends, our family and our fellow bloggers. Without the comments, emails, and calls we would feel alot more alone that we do. Though we cant get back to everyone at this point I do want you all to know that we so appreciate it and we do read everything sent to us through these ways. I cant say that all teh feedback that I have gotten has been positive, and I knew by being so honest we were sure to ruffle some feathers, I am still happy that I have continued to allow other families into our lives at this point. If the time comes where we begin to recieve more negative feedback then positive then I may have to rethink keeping this a public blog, for now I hope some can still get something out of it. We need you all.

We had a good weekend. Liberti did ok with Greg on Saturday and but much better on Sunday. We filled Friday, Saturday and Sunday with Decorating the tree, a picnic at the park and playground, riding bikes at the lake, the sand box, and then onto the Christmas festival for Santa Clause and pony rides. One example of her actions is when Liberti took a nap. Greg and I decided to lay on the couch and catch a movie while the kids rested. When she woke up she came to us and climbed ontop of the both of us and layed down. it was soemthing totally out of character for her. She doesnt ussually show affection unless she wants somethings, needs something or you are having lots of fun with her. It felt really natural. She stayed for a while and even let us cuddle her a bit! Huge deal. The rest of the day went well with episodes like this. Allowing us to take a few pictures and play with her. What a day. At the end of the night we played a few games including skin to skin contact which she did really well with. We are working on touchig and playing without aggression. We do all the little things that you woudl do with an infant or toddler like "this littel piggy", or when you touch my face I make this expression, We do this for about 20 minutes or until she is no longer complient or agreeable. Then she drew a picture of herself with a smile. That is not normal either. We get lots of unhappy faces or pictures of keelung mommy. But this time it was her with a smile. Then she also had 4 hearts she drew next to her. She told me the hears were us, mommy, daddy, Landon and Liberti. How sweet is that? I smiled hugged her and held back a lot of tears. One day can go a LONG LONG way :)

11 comments:

Tisra said...

Praise God! Each little step is encouraging, I'm sure- and as you allude, a great morale builder! A day with hear drawings, cuddles, and sweet skin-to-skin moments fuel you on for the next day and the next. You may not feel it- but you are leaps ahead of where you started with her! I continue to pray on your family's behalf knowing that you are doing amazing things for this sweet child to heal. And, I feel that Landon will be alright and that he will heal from all this too. The sandbox photo of the brother and sister duo is a glimmer of the many happy moments for them that await. It may be a year or two before all their interactions are as dear, but I feel certain that it will come. If you ever need to talk I'd be happy to listen, just e-mail for my number. You're doing a great job, Mommy.

Kimber Graves said...

I am the person whom Anita Hiehle connected you with a few weeks ago, and we emailed once or twice. I just wanted you to know that my husband and I are praying for your family during this time of adjustment and transition. It can be so trying, but you're doing great. Just keep taking it one day at a time. You are not alone!

Ann said...

Cole, I think that you are doing great with her. It's hard for me to believe that anyone is giving you any type of negative feedback, because they don't know what it's like in your home, or your family. Your honesty and candor is amazing. I think that it's great that you are able and willing to share your story with anyone. It brought me to tears reading how Ti climed on to snuggle with you guys. THAT'S GREAT, amazing. Look at what you have accomplished in just 6 weeks. It will be hard, but you are doing an amazing job. She will heal, your family will heal together. Because not only is Ti hurting, you all are hurting together. And as she heals, your family will mesh. Until that day comes do what you're doing, take it moment by moment! I am always thinking and praying for you!!

Sarah said...

Thinking of you today, girlfriend. Praying for your continued strength.

kiwintaiwan said...

Hang on in there Nicole.... each step forwanrd has one back but it is worth it.... I am so happy that you are being so honest. We too struggle with our girl in different ways but they also show us everyday how much they want to adapt and be part of our family. They have all been through so much for small children and in a year or two you and I will laugh about it all.
love from us in Taiwan
The Nicholson's

mattnmay said...

Hi Nicole,

You are an amazing woman. Thank you for sharing your story with us. You and your family are blessed with this trial because God knows that you are capable of handling it. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas! Hang in there! You are doing GREAT!

Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole-

We are all thinking about your family! You can see positive changes even in photos. We are so touched by your families commitment. We are praying for you. Merry Christmas.

Dias Fam

Annie said...

Wow, Nicole, that last paragraph really made me smile. She is really coming a long way it sounds like. You are doing a great job allowing her to grieve, but being there for her and building a bond and setting boundaries. I'm praying for more and more positive days!

I also want to thank you for how honest you have been. As we prepare for my little sister to come home, I wonder how she will transition. Of course, there is no way to know yet, but reading about your perseverance and love for Liberti despite the difficulties has helped me to have faith that whatever happens, we'll be able to persevere too.

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
I wanted to wish you and your family a Happy New Year. I hope 2008 is filled with hope, healing, and happiness.
Blessings,
Teresa

Rita said...

hey girl. congrats for holding on and sticking to it. i know it's awfully hard some times, and you feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel... but your instincts are so loving and right i just know you and greg and landon will show Ti all the love she needs and she will turn around and be a totally wonderful and terrific kid all the time. (okay most of the time cause no kids is 100 great!) can't wait to meet her and have a play date with my kids.

Yuko said...

Nicole,
I didn't get a chance to check your blog for a while. Sounds like you guys are moving along well. It's so great to hear that Liberti snuggled up to you guys on the couch after the nap. The moment of affection... I still remember our daughter's first display of affection so vividly. It's so precious. Hang in there. We're thinking of your family.
Yuko